[mapserver-users] Strategy for dealing with Census Data?

Walt Lin joemayfair at usa.net
Thu Oct 18 04:01:19 EDT 2001

I've got a running version with the census 2000 data.  I convreted the tiger files to shp using tgr2shp.  I extracted layers I wanted for each county into separate shp files.  I then use Postgres to do a query (rtree index) to figure out which shp files I want to turn on for a certain request, and use mapscript to turn them on.  I'm looking into PostGIS but my setup works fine for now.  (I also have my own scale filtering, only selecting the paths to shp files from Postgres if the layer is within the scale, bypassing mapserver's MINSCALE and MAXSCALE).

Good luck.
Cheers,
Walt

ps-- I'm pretty sure that the tiger 2000 files are now freely available in shp format, from somewhere.