[mapserver-users] Differnet Quality Output of Text labels

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Oct 18 09:44:31 EDT 2001

Again this is because the GD/Freetype integration doesn't process un-antialiased text correctly. There is no fix short of hacking GD or getting the GD group patches that fix the problem. They are open to that but I've not had the time to create them.

The best thing to do is to just use ANTIALIASing whenever you use TrueType fonts. Since the extra colors necessary are allocated at the end of rendering there is little impact on the actual output, nor is there much of a performance hit.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937
>>> Christian Fuerpass <fuerp at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at> 10/18/01 03:32 AM >>>
Hello Group!

After transfering my application from a old server to a new one the
following problem appeard with the text labels in the maps:

I have on both servers Mapserver 3.4 running with gd 1.2, so the outputs
are GIF images. The only difference is that on the old server i have
compiled PHP 3.0.18  with True Type Support and on the new server i have
compiled PHP 4.0.5 without True Type (as told in the documentation) .
But i have included True type to the Mapserver compilation. When i leave
this paramter the demo wont work, because the Mapserver didnt know the
TRUETYPE Tag in the Mapfile, so i know that it should work correctly.

This problem looks simmilar to the problem S(tepán Kafka wrote some
postings ago, but i dont use 3.5 yet.

I have read Stevens answer to the post, but i dont know what can i do
against this issue between GD and Freetype.

I hope anybody can help me. (So that i can give away the old server
soon.)  ;-)

Christian Fuerpass

Institut fuer Geographie der Universitaet Wien
   Kartographie und Geoinformation

Deptartment of Geography and Regional Science
   University of Vienna
   Cartography and GIS

  Tel:            (+43 1) 4277 48658
  Fax:            (+43 1) 4277 48649
  E-Mail:       mailto:fuerp at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at
Snail-Mail: Universitaetstr. 7, A-1010 Wien, AUSTRIA

  WWW:        http://www.gis.univie.ac.at/karto/