[mapserver-users] Split large tiffs (topos) like TopoZone

Cameron Shorter cameron at socialchange.net.au
Sat Oct 20 00:04:05 EDT 2001

http://geotools.sourceforge.net is a java applet which now has WMS
support.
It can take layers from multiple WMS servers and display them
seperately.
However, code is still beta.  Documentation for WMS support is still
light.
The applet is fairly big (around 200K).

Contact me if you want more details, or download the source from CVS.

Stephen Lime wrote:

> Couple of things to add... 1) Dan Morissette has added cascading mapserver support to MapServer 3.5 release. 2) I have an older version of the mapplet code that takes 2 images and overlays them, plus gives you the box zooming. It was written for a similar an application- MapServer over LandSat, where the images came from two different servers. I haven't used it much since raster support was added to MapServer but with just a little update it would work.
>
> Steve
>
> Stephen Lime
> Data & Applications Manager
>
> Minnesota DNR
> 500 Lafayette Road
> St. Paul, MN 55155
> 651-297-2937
> Allan -
>
> I would urge anyone considering the "CSS approach" you describe to do so
> with extreme caution.  This is remarkably difficult to get working
> properly across a reasonable set of browser platforms.  Everyone's done
> it differently, the bugs are different in each release, and it's just a
> nightmare.  There's a very good reason why the map on the Digital Earth
> page you mention is at the upper-left corner of the page - it's really
> hard to make it work anywhere else on the page!
>
> Having "been there, done that", I would really recommend that anyone
> considering that approach instead use a small Java applet to load the
> images and display them.  Your compatibility problems will be greatly
> reduced.
>
>         - Ed
>
> Ed McNierney
> Chief Mapmaker
> TopoZone.com
> ed at topozone.com
> (978) 251-4242

Cameron Shorter          Web Mapping Manager
Social Change Online
248 Johnson St           Tel: +61 (0) 2 9692 5115
Annandale NSW 2038       Fax: +61 (0) 2 9692 5192
Sydney, Australia        http://webmap.socialchange.net.au