[mapserver-users] Optimising Image quality

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Oct 24 10:09:12 EDT 2001

Tim -

Your thoughts about JPG are correct.  JPG is a better choice for maps
with photographic basemaps; PNG is better for other maps.  I would like
to suggest that you reconsider your feelings against PNG.

I just took a quick look at the last 50,000 user visits to TopoZone, and
98.7% of them were with browsers that support the kinds of PNG images
MapServer generates.  No, that's not universal, but you're never going
to reach 100.00% (0.17% of the visits were with Netscape 2.x browsers!).
The TopoZone site doesn't use PNG images (they're GIF) so there isn't a
self-selection going on here - non-PNG browsers can use TopoZone just
fine.

The TopoZone site opened two years ago, and even then we encountered
only one serious problem in PNG support.  Our maps were all originally
PNG tiles, and Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.x has a bug that prevents
8-bit palettized PNG images from printing correctly in some
circumstances.  We switched to GIF to avoid this problem, but it's a
two-year-old issue.  As of today (the same 50,000 visit sample) 95% of
all TopoZone visitors using Internet Explorer are running 5.x or 6.x.

Many browsers that "don't support PNG" tend to fail in PNG's support for
transparency.  That's not relevant to MapServer.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com