[mapserver-users] performance of our installation is way off

Brian Hill bhill at nextbus.com
Wed Oct 24 13:43:24 EDT 2001

It is taking 15 to 20 seconds to render a map on a fast Linux/Intel
system with all binaries and data local, which is off by a factor of 5
or more from what I was expecting.  For example, hit:

http://skip.nextbus.com/cgi-bin/imap/mapper?wid=.03&ht=.03&lat=37&lon=-122

I used tile4ms from a 3.5 nightly distribution to index all the Tiger
shape file data for California. Otherwise, the system is a 3.3.012
system.  The .map file has been pared pretty hard.

Does anyone know of performance trouble-shooting techniques for the
mapserver system or common build/app/data problems that can severely
impact performance?

In an earlier post, data thinning, pre-projection and spatial indexes
were mentioned, but these are just buzzwords to me.  I haven't found
directions for actually applying these techniques in the documentation.

Thanks for any tips on how to narrow the problem down or fix it.

Brian Hill
Sr. Software Engineer
NextBus Information Systems
(510)420-3122