[mapserver-users] Map server security issue

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Thu Oct 25 15:23:45 EDT 2001

John -

MapServer is a CGI application and has no special "security issues"
associated with it.  As part of its execution it creates temporary image
files which are then read by client browsers.  From a security
perspective, Web browser users must have the following access rights:

The right to execute the MapServer CGI binary
The right to read the MapServer MAP definition file(s)
The right to read the shapefiles, raster images, etc. used to create a
MapServer map
The right to write output map images to a temporary directory
The right to read those images from that temporary directory

There's nothing special here - nothing unusual.  If you can tell us what
operating system you're running MapServer on, and whether this is to be
run on a Web site that's open to the public (anonymous users) or whether
it's on a secure Intranet system, we can probably give you more tips.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com