[mapserver-users] Map server security issue

klehr1 at tampabay.rr.com klehr1 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Oct 25 18:10:25 EDT 2001

Ed & John:

Hi- I had the same questions.

I put my shape files, html templates, and the .map files all in a location
readable by the web server unix user (apache - webuser is the user running
on my server).  i.e. /usr/maps/project

Only the generated gifs are in a location that is referencable via a web
server.  /var/www/html/mapimpages  (http://domain/mapimpages/generated.gif)

The web server can access the shape, maps, and template files during
creation, the client browsers can only access the gifs generated by
mapserver script.

This way the web users can not grab my shapefile or my map files (the
intellectual property).

All the best
Steve Lehr