[mapserver-users] pre-projection

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Oct 31 18:43:59 EST 2001

Bill,
Get the OGR library (you may have it already) and use the 'ogr2ogr'
utility. It'll read/write TIGER data. It'll also do reprojections. The
usage summary is this:

Usage: ogr2ogr [-skipfailures] [-f format_name]
               [-where restricted_where] [-spat xmin ymin xmax ymax]
               [-t_srs srs_def] [-a_srs srs_def]
               [[-dsco NAME=VALUE] ...] dst_datasource_name
               src_datasource_name
               [-lco NAME=VALUE] [-nln name] layer [layer ...]]

 -f format_name: output file format name, possible values are:
     -f "ESRI Shapefile"
     -f "TIGER"
     -f "MapInfo File"
     -f "PostgreSQL"
 -where restricted_where: Attribute query (like SQL WHERE)
 -spat xmin ymin xmax ymax: spatial query extents
 -dsco NAME=VALUE: Dataset creation option (format specific)
 -lco  NAME=VALUE: Layer creation option (format specific)
 -nln name: Assign an alternate name to the new layer
 -a_srs srs_def: Assign an output SRS
 -t_srs srs_def: Reproject/transform to this SRS on output

 Srs_def can be a full WKT definition (hard to escape properly),
 or a well known definition (ie. EPSG:4326) or a file with a WKT
 definition.

In Frank we trust...
Paul

--