[mapserver-users] Any ideas on using Arabic TTFs?

Ashish Mohan ashish at manchitra.com
Mon Sep 3 03:44:47 EDT 2001

Hi All.
Does anybody have any idea as to how to use some Arabic font in mapserver. i did the usual stuff, like defining an alias for the font in a "fonts.list" file and using the alias name as the font for a particular layer to write some text on labels.
but i get some garbage which i am unable to decipher. one thing which surprised me was the fact that no error code was returned throughout the code when i debugged it.
however the desirable output was not produced.
has anyone dealt with any arabic TTF before with mapserver? do we need to do something special for supporting arabic TTFs?
i was able to display some kanji text. as far as i know, arabic must be supported by Unicode TTF.
any ideas?
i am using version 3.4 of mapserver along with the associated default libraries of GD, FreeType etc provided in the download. do i need to get the latest versions of the FreeType library and mapserver, to be able to support arabic fonts?
thanks in advance.

-ashish