[mapserver-users] Any ideas on using Arabic TTFs?

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Sep 4 12:02:21 EDT 2001

My guess is you'll need newer versions of GD since that's where much of the
language support lives. Try 1.8.x and see what happens.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Ashish Mohan" <ashish at manchitra.com> 09/03/01 02:44AM >>>
Hi All.
Does anybody have any idea as to how to use some Arabic font in mapserver. i did the usual stuff, like defining an alias for the font in a "fonts.list" file and using the alias name as the font for a particular layer to write some text on labels.
but i get some garbage which i am unable to decipher. one thing which surprised me was the fact that no error code was returned throughout the code when i debugged it.
however the desirable output was not produced.
has anyone dealt with any arabic TTF before with mapserver? do we need to do something special for supporting arabic TTFs?
i was able to display some kanji text. as far as i know, arabic must be supported by Unicode TTF.
any ideas?
i am using version 3.4 of mapserver along with the associated default libraries of GD, FreeType etc provided in the download. do i need to get the latest versions of the FreeType library and mapserver, to be able to support arabic fonts?
thanks in advance.

-ashish