[mapserver-users] Compile error

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Sep 6 14:49:33 EDT 2001

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I will discuss the benefits of static linking against just OGR libraries with
> Daniel who set some of that up. Hopefully this won't have to bite too many
> other people.

Frank,

Static linking of OGR was useful in the days where GDAL could not be
easily installed and queried for config options (i.e. when there was no
gdal-config) ... and it made it much easier to debug too.

However, today for my own use I don't think this is required any more
since GDAL now installs itself easily and gdal-config takes care of all
the magic.  However, I could see places where it is impossible to
install GDAL in the runtime path (or where multiple versions of GDAL may
be installed) and static linking may come handy.  But this is true for
most of the other libraries that MapServer links with and we don't allow
any of them (except GD) to be statically linked... so I'm not sure
what's best... if the static linking of OGR causes headaches then I
guess we could take it out unless some users tell us that they still
need it.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca