[mapserver-users] Re: FW: [Manifold] Map Server Docs

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Sep 14 11:41:32 EDT 2001

Jim: Thanks for passing this along. Dimitri's points are valid to a certain extent.

- Depending on who you talk to MapServer is extremely easy to use or can be
cumbersome. I've not run across a single system that is *easy* to use. Many
include an out-of-the-box functionality that get's folks up quickly although it's
a very different matter to move away from that in any meaningful fashion. MapServer's
demo serve's much the same role but in my opinion is easier to extend. Several
tools have been written (Tom Poindexter's suite of tools is an example) and others
are on the way.

- write access to the file system is NOT a requirement although many folks use
it that way. It's easy to setup a system that writes no files to disk. The java version
of the DNR Recreation Compass and LandView are examples and even the
most basic CGI versions can be configured this way. Risks associated with
write permissions can be mitigated IF permissions are handled correctly. No system
is free from security issues, just running on Windows is a huge one!

- by "low performance" I assume he's refering to CGI vs whatever. CGI is slower,
yes, but that's not the bottleneck which is clearly related to processing the GIS
data. MapScript certainly provides a host of alternatives. I've not used Manifold's
web piece but performance relative to other vendor products is pretty clear.

The comment I agree with most is that by NOT being a GIS itself MapServer does,
in many cases, assume you have other products to use. I've always used it in concert
with other systems and I think most users do as well. It's just that those other vendors
don't offer a free or even marginally low cost web mapping system. Manifold is the
only one to do that, kudos for that.

As for the experience of the user? Web mapping simply is not the domain of pure GIS
staff nor pure web staff. It's techical enough to require both in the form of teams or
staff with particular talents. Once MapServer configuration (i.e. map files) are mastered
there's no need for ANY scripting so a less techical audience is free to participate (especially
if we can build more wizard tools). Yet the system offers advanced users the opportunity
to code as much as they'd like. And in the end you're not locked into an OS, scripting language,
file format or vendor.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Platt, Jim" <jimp at ObjectFX.com> 09/14/01 10:05AM >>>
Steve:

It is not my habit to pass along competitor's comments (just ask the folks
around here), but I thought you might be interested in this.

Jim Platt