[mapserver-users] Re: FW: [Manifold] Map Server Docs

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Sat Sep 15 14:51:40 EDT 2001

Forgive the brief excerpt:

"On the other hand, "performance" is something of a canard since
virtually no
map servers have any significant traffic.  For the most part the
distribution of map servers on the web is lots of niche sites that few
people visit.  This is a better argument in favor of CGI than the one
you
made."

As far as I know, the busiest mapping site on the entire Web is
MapQuest.  I wonder whether they chose that nasty, slow,
poorly-performing CGI architecture or not <g>?

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com