[mapserver-users] projection confusion

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Thu Sep 20 08:41:31 EDT 2001

Matt -

There isn't any "look right" here - the expected shape of these polygons
is completely dependent upon the projection chosen.  Since you're
talking about "buildings", I'm assuming that they are pretty small
polygons (in a global sense) and therefore won't be affected as much by
the projection, except in their orientation.  That is, the difference
between UTM and decimal degrees will be a shape that's about the same
but rotated (roughly).

If your buildings are being projected into nowhere, check the EXTENTS
parameter in the map file.  If you're not defining a projection, you'll
need to be sure that the range of coordinates in your shapes lies within
the extents of the map.  If your coordinates are in decimal degrees,
then your extents need to be in decimal degrees, too.

If you can post the map file and/or the shape file data it would be
helpful if you're still stuck.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker