[mapserver-users] Spatial data from Oracle - how?

Rodrigo Cabral cabral at yadata.net
Fri Apr 5 10:30:56 EST 2002

There are two options... By your email I guess the 1st one you don't want to
try, but anyway:

1) Install SDO (Oracle Spatial) which has a whole spatial data support
implemented, including MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY type for storing the data in your
shapefiles. Compile mapserver with Oracle Spatial support and migrate your
shapefiles to Oracle using a shp2sdo program from OTN (don't have the URL
with me right now). Create the mapfile with an oraclespatial layer, and it's
done.

2) Split your data in two parts: static base layers are stored in standard
shapefiles; while dynamic layers (which your database handles) are stored in
Oracle in your private format (perhaps you have only lat/lons points and
want to see them). You will have to work with PHP (using OCI) and MapScript
to draw/query your points. Depending on your application, there's a lot of
coding ahead. If data is complex or big, expect delays for delivering
content to the web.

Rod.