[mapserver-users] MrSid

Richard Greenwood Rich at GreenwoodMap.com
Sun Apr 7 13:16:45 EDT 2002

At 10:04 AM 4/7/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Thanks for your suggestion, Ben.  However, correct if I'm wrong, the
>GeoTIFF format is not multi-res like MrSid.
>John

You can add overviews to tiff files with the gdaladdo utility. Tiff files
are large, and overviews make them larger, but improve performance. You
should also consider ecw if you are working with grayscale images. Ecw is
very similar to MrSID and is supported by mapserver under windows (not
Linux/UNIX). If you are working with color, I'd suggest that you stick with
tiff because the color in mapserver-ecw doesn't look all that great.

Rich

>At 07:48 PM 4/6/2002, you wrote:
>>On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 01:26:14PM -0600, John Hagstrand wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I have a MrSid file I want to display as a layer in MapServer.  Does
>> anyone
>> > have an interface to do that?
>>
>>I'm new to Mapserver and don't know whether there is a Mapserver
>>interface or not--it would be very cool if there is.  In the mean
>>time...
>>
>>The MrSid Viewer is available for free download from the LizardTech
>>website (http://www.lizardtech.com).  The Windows version has the
>>ability to export the whole MrSID file or a portion of it as GeoTIFF
>>or, I think, TIFF with world files.  If you use Linux (as I do) I
>>suggest downloading the Windows version and running it under Wine.  At
>>least that worked well for me.  The Unix version of the MrSID viewer
>>doesn't have as many features and you can only save the currently
>>viewed region. :-(
>>
>>BTW, there seem to be several different flavors of the viewer for the
>>Windows platform.  The one you want is the Standalone Viewer and the
>>download is 6+ Mb.
>>
>>Hope this helps,
>>Ben
>>
>>--
>>Ben Logan: ben at wblogan dot net
>>OpenPGP Key KeyID: A1ADD1F0

>John Hagstrand
>Interage Research, Inc.
>847 838 5371
>Software Development Consulting for Internet Archive Retrieval
>We help archives make knowledge accessible, useful, and relevant for everyone.
>http://www.interageresearch.com

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
Greenwood Mapping, Inc.
Rich at GreenwoodMap.com