[mapserver-users] MrSid

Lowell Filak lfilak at medinaco.org
Mon Apr 8 08:58:38 EDT 2002

Correct, they are not multi-res however nothing says that you can't create multiple catalogs of multiple resolutions.
Dating back to an older post (Ed M.) to the group: if a 1' pixel takes 20MB a 2' pixel only takes 5MB & etc.
We did this for TIFF & WLD files using ImageMagick & Perl and produced 2', 4', 8', & 10' pixel versions of our original 1' photography and are very pleased with the result and speed of rendering. The only special thing that needed done during the map creation is to have a minscale & maxscale for the layers so the appropriate layer is displayed.
If you can use it and are willing to hack the Perl code that has been written particular to our site let me know and I'll send it to you.
Lowell F.

The following message was sent by John Hagstrand <johnhagstrand at interageresearch.com> on Sun, 07 Apr 2002 10:04:55 -0600.