[mapserver-users] CGI Map changes

Robert Crossley robert at wotzhere.com
Mon Apr 8 05:59:18 EDT 2002

Hi all,

Hope this doesn't sound dumb, but am trying to understand how mapserver operates with CGI calls with multiple users.
Have only been working with web map servers for a short period  ( 2 weeks) so some of the concepts are a bit new.

I have used a common map file to set up Mapserver for all users, but the data each user requires is different.
I have been successful in using a URL to change the data string for the layers defined in a common map file,
so I can customise the layer being displayed based on a variable in my app.

Do I need to pass these parameters every time that I make a call to MapServer?

One reference said that MapServer is stateless, so does this mean that once it renders and image it forgets what it has done
for that user,  and thus I would assume that it needs to have all parameters that are different to the Map file defined on each call?

It would be easy enough for me to test this for one user, but what about with multiple sessions where each user has a different data value would require a bit more effort.

THanks

Robert Crossley
Robert Crossley & Associates
9 Short St