[mapserver-users] File paths for layer data

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Mon Apr 8 10:16:46 EDT 2002

Steve et a. -

That's not quite correct.  The Web server runs under a user security context, like everything in Windows 2000.  If you're running a Web server with a site that permits anonymous user access (as most do), your server will have a LOCAL user account named IUSR_<machinename>; for example, if the machine is named FOO, then there is a local user account named IUSR_FOO that is used by the server for anonymous access.

That means that the MapServer CGI runs as if it were run by the logged-in user IUSR_FOO, and it only has access to things that IUSR_FOO can access.  The default setup is for IUSR_FOO to be created as a local machine account, NOT a domain account - it's an account that only exists on the Web server machine.  As a result, since it's a local machine account, it has NO ACCESS to network resources.  You have to be a domain user to get those.  Therefore, you won't be able to see any network data files.

You can change the Web server's user account to be a domain user account, and then you can get access to domain resources.  Remember that this is a two-edged sword.  The reason the default account is a local machine account is to prevent security problems; the default setup only permits access to the local machine, so the risk from a Web attack is minimized.  If you change that account to a domain account you potentially expose your entire domain to an attack.  There's nothing wrong with that; it just means you are increasing the benefits and increasing the risk, and you need to manage the security situation appropriately.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com