[mapserver-users] Mapserver and Windows

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Tue Apr 9 13:01:53 EDT 2002

ed makes the most sensible points here...

there are a couple of issues though... and since no one else has mentioned
them, I am wondering if I am wrong in assuming thus --

- If you want to use Perl/Mapscript, it has not been known to compile and
run well on Windows.

- If you want to use PHP/Mapscript, you have to make sure your Apache is
capable of dynamically loading the php_mapscript.dll... in most cases (at
least that's what I did), one just grabs the pre-built Apache binary from
apache.org website, and that is built so it can't load dlls dynamically.

and just to counter one of ed's assumptions... we are a primarily windows
operation, however, I think only one machine in the entire company has the C
compiler loaded. All *nix boxes by default have the compilers installed.

my mapserver is running on a red hat box, and I do my application
development on a Windoze 2k connected to the mapserver box that is sharing
its drives using Samba. I use jEdit (from jedit.org) for development, and I
can take the scripts home and work seamlessly on my iBook at home using
jedit.