[mapserver-users] Mapserver and Windows

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Apr 9 12:04:58 EDT 2002

Stefano -

A LOT depends on what operating systems you are experienced with and able to support.  As has been mentioned, Windows doesn't include many of the development tools that come with Unix.  But if you are already a Windows operation you're going to have those tools already.  If you don't, it's not worth buying and learning them.

The skill and expertise associated with running either Windows or Unix is VERY important for any Web server operation.  If you know how to use and manage one system better than the other, that's likely to be the better choice.

We run MapServer on Linux and Windows 2000, and they're mostly (in my opinion) just different.  Each has advantages and disadvantages and neither one stands out as clearly better than the other.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com