[mapserver-users] Please help with Python Mapscript module

Sean Gillies sgillies at i3.com
Wed Apr 10 11:25:12 EDT 2002

Ben,

My recommendation is that you build the Python mapscript module
using Python distutils rather than manually compiling.

Here is a great intro document to building Python extension mods.
An hour or so of reading this will reward you many times over:

   http://www.python.org/doc/current/ext/ext.html

Next, upgrade to Python 2.1+ so you can use the newest Python
distutils.  Read all about distutils at:

   http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-distutils.html

Steve Lime has written a setup.py file that should be included
in your Python mapscript source.  After reading the documents
I've referenced, you'll be able to adapt this setup file to
your own needs and will build the module easily.

Hope this helps you.  I've only built Python mapscript on Win32
so don't have any Redhat specifics.

cheers,
Sean