[mapserver-users] Fwd: PostGIS problem..

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Wed Apr 10 11:49:37 EDT 2002

Thank you Dave, you were right on the money of course.   This round of
installations on my new computer just seemed to be a bit more difficult (or
I'm just a bit too confident and not diligent enough).

After I properly installed postgis support in mapserver I was having any
difficulties relating to user permissions.  I always forget that the web
server user has to exist and have permission to select from these tables.
In case someone has made it this far and is getting frustrated.  Remember,
you need to create a database user for your web server and mapserver to
use.  I.e. I used
>createuser apache
Then in psql you need grant them priviledges to access the data in your
postgis tables.
>psql mydb
>>grant select on mypostgistable to apache

I'm not sure if you have to or not, but I also did the following grants
too:
>>grant select on geometry_columns to apache
>>grant select on spatial_ref_sys to apache

Tyler

                    Dave Blasby
                    <dblasby at refractions.net>           To:
                    Sent by:                            cc:     mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu
                    owner-mapserver-users at lists.g       Fax to:
                    is.umn.edu                          Subject:     Re: [mapserver-users] Fwd: PostGIS problem..

                    04/09/2002 11:57 AM

 Does anyone out there have any info on what might cause:

> msPOSTGISLayerOpen(): Query error. msPOSTGISLayerOpen called but
> unimplemented!
>
> I complied Mapserver 3.5 --with postGIS, and the rest of it is working
fine,
> except when I try to add the postGIS layer

This happens when you havent compiled mapserver without postgis
support.  You have to explictly
tell mapserver to add in support.

When you "./configure", you should do it like:

./configure  --with-postgis=/usr/bin/pg_config

Your pg_config program maybe in a different location.  pg_config tells
mapserver where the postgresql include and lib directories are.

You should check your configure log and see if you specified where
pg_config is correctly and that configure found it sucessfully.

dave