[mapserver-users] how to do a simbol of arrow

Stepan Kafka stepan.kafka at centrum.cz
Fri Apr 19 16:36:14 EDT 2002

You can use truetype line symbols for it:

1. Define true type symbol, e.g.:

SYMBOL
  NAME "arrow"
  TYPE "truetype"
  FONT "tahoma" #or what you have set in your fontset file
  GAP -10 #the value MUST be negative to enforce "as digitized" orientation
  CHARACTER ">" #or your own defined arrow symbol
END

2. then in your map file layer class definition

CLASS
  SYMBOL "arrow"
  SIZE 10
  COLOR etc...
END

You can also set OVERLAYSYMBOL to combine arrows with lines etc... You can
also use POSITION parameter in the symbol definition to set the symbol
above/under line etc...

Stepan Kafka