[mapserver-users] using Mapscript to pan around a querymap

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Apr 21 11:32:20 EDT 2002

Lawrence,

> Yes, I want to enter an address, have the map zoom to the address
> point, then to pan around this location, using the same template (map).
> I understand that this is not possible using regular MapServer > features.
> How can I do this using MapScript ?

This feature is not implemented in directly in Mapserver. MapScript has
a queryByAttributes() function that might work, but I am not sure how it
works.

Can someone from DM Solutions comment on this?

I wrote my own GeoCoder in C that works off the shape files but it is
somewhat targeted at US Census data. You can see it at
http://swoodbridge.com/cgi-bin/geo enter and address east of the
Mississippi in the US.

Some other people were working on an OpenSource version - you might want
to check the list archives for more information.

You could build something to do this with shapefiles in Perl or
PHP/Mapscript because both of these can open *.dbf files where all the
attributes are stored and scan the records.

I hope this helps,
  -Steve