[mapserver-users] recomm. for OS X (was Re: Cannot dynamically load php_mapscript.so)

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Apr 22 09:34:47 EDT 2002

Puneet Kishor wrote:

> But at this time I can't possibly recommend PHP/Mapscript for MacOS X
> users. They would be much, much better off sticking with Perl/Mapscript
> which compiles like s*** through goose, and works splendidly with
> mod_perl. The problem is the OS X comes with Apache and PHP (as DSO)
> precompiled and installed. Since, PHP/Mapscript can only work as a CGI,
> one has to recompile Apache as well and then compile PHP. Recompiling
> Apache means that one has to recompile Perl as well (and mod_perl, if
> desired) in order to make everything else work smoothly. Uggghhhhhh!

Note that it is not mandatory to recompile Apache in order to run PHP as
a CGI even if it was compiled with the PHP DSO already... you can keep
your original Apache and bypass the PHP DSO, see the section "If your
server came preloaded with PHP as an Apache DSO" at the bottom of the
following Wiki page:
  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?PHPMapScriptCGI

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca