[mapserver-users] recomm. for OS X (was Re: Cannot dynamically load php_mapscript.so)

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Apr 22 11:23:36 EDT 2002

Puneet Kishor wrote:

> I read the notes on the wiki. Even if I follow those instructions, don't
> I have to compile PHP as a CGI as well... after all, how will I get the
> php binary unless I compile it, no? And to compile PHP as a CGI, I need
> the Apache src to compile it against, no? The problem is that the stock
> OS X comes pre-installed with Apache 1.3.24 and PHP 4.1.2, no src tree.
> So, I have to ditch all of that and restart. Which, then involves
> compiling Perl and mod_perl, because they go out of sync.

You do not need access to an Apache source tree in order to compile PHP
as a CGI.  A CGI is by definition a standalone executable, and for this
reason has no depency on any web server.  Try removing the --with-apxs
and/or --with-apache directives in your PHP configure options and it
will then build as a CGI without any dependency on an Apache source tree
(I never rebuild Apache myself).

> Anyway, I did all of the above, and finally got php_mapsript.so to
> compile. Now I face additional problems... I still get the message that
> dynamic library is not supported. Enable_dl is on, yet I can't seem to
> get dynamic libraries going. There seems to be no configuration option
> in PHP to enable or disable this, except via the php.ini file, which I
> have done.

This looks like another problem that we used to have with PHP3 because
compilation process... I never ran into that problem myself with PHP4,
but you may want to read the following FAQ and try to make the proposed
change to the LDFLAGS in your PHP4 makefile:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/phpmapscript-install-howto.html#d41e558

There may also be an option in the PHP4 configure to enable dl ... you
should probably look for that first.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca