[mapserver-users] Ack! shptree bug????

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Apr 22 20:36:52 EDT 2002

Help Steve, Carl, anyone,

I have run into a bizzare situation that might be a bug (probably mine),
but you never know!

Here is the scenario:

1) I build a tile4ms of my tiger data files.
2) I wrote a C program to read the tileindex and compress the entries so
I only have one entry per directory. (I'll come back to this)
3) I create a shptree of the tileindex.

This was working fine except, I had a minor bug in my utility and did
not write the last directory info to the new tileindex so I had a county
that never showed up on the map. So a add a few lines of code, to add
the last entry before closing the files. Reprocess the tileindex and
create the shptree index and NOTHING shows up on my map!

Comment out the new code and repeat the process and the map works minus
the missing last directory. OK, scrates head, checks the code, the
process, tries again and gets the same results. I check the new
tileindex using shapechk it says it fine and dandy. dbfdump and shpdump
looks great.

Ok, I use the new tileindex but delete the tileindex.qix file and every
thing works great. The map shows up along with the previously missing
county. Make a new shptree index and everything in the tileindex
vanishes again! Seems like a shptree problem. mapserver 3.5 and I do get
an image back with other layers that are not in this tileindex.

Is this the a variation on the hanging bug that a patch was released
for? I will go find patch and try that.

Any other ideas.

-Steve W.