[mapserver-users] can't display TIFFs

Dylan Keon keon at nacse.org
Fri Apr 26 19:33:59 EDT 2002

I fixed the problem.  Thanks to Frank, Pushkar, and Tyler for their help.
gdalinfo and my server log both indicated a segmentation fault when I tried
to display tiffs in my application.  The problem was that gdal was not
functioning correctly...either libtiff or libgeotiff was not behaving within
gdal.

When I first implemented gdal I tried compiling with the latest versions of
libtiff and libgeotiff (not using gdal's internal support).  I couldn't get
it to accept that version of libtiff when compiling, so I configured gdal
with:

  --with-libtiff=internal
  --with-libgeotiff=/usr/local/src/libgeotiff-1.1.4

This gave no errors during compilation, but did not allow gdal to function
correctly (resulting in the segmentation errors I've been getting).  Frank
recommended compiling gdal with internal libtiff AND internal libgeotiff
support, which is the safest approach.  However, by that time I had already
tried once again to compile with both newer versions...

  --with-libtiff=/usr/local/src/tiff-v3.5.7
  --with-libgeotiff=/usr/local/src/libgeotiff-1.1.4

...and this is now working fine!  I can display rasters to my heart's
content :-)  I don't know why gdal accepted these configure parameters this
particular time, after I had tried seemingly hundreds of other times (ok,
maybe 10 times :-)  The only thing I did differently was change the order of
options in my ./configure statement, but I don't know why that would make
any difference.

Anyway, thanks to all for the help.  I've been having a lot of fun
experimenting with OFFSITE.

--Dylan