[mapserver-users] Image Maps

Manuel Marichal Pérez marichalperez at yahoo.es
Thu Aug 1 10:01:19 EDT 2002

	Hi, all. Image maps are a commonly question treated in Mapserver list.
	The solution suggested by MapServer experts is to use Mapscript to read
	the shapes and then build up a image map. If your application uses a
	java viewer (such us ROSA or other) you can build the map using XML (for
	example) and then read it from Java.

	Ok. I wrote a PHP/Mapscript function that read the DBF file and extract
	the polygons. Each polygon is assigned a label which is extracted from a
	column of the DBF itself. With this, I make an XML file including the
	map and ROSA read it to manage the "MouseOver" method. This idea works
	fine:

	http://www.buscamap.com/simpletest/index.html

	The problem here is the layer which the image map is build for. If the
	layer contains very much polygons, this method take a long time to build
	the image map. My question is: it is possible to reduce this time?.

	- MapServer is unable to make image maps itself (correct me if not, please)

	- If I include a clipping method in the function, I will obtain smaller
	  XML files, but the time is not reduced because if I want to know which
	  polygons fall in the view and which fall out of it I still have to read
	  its coordinates to know it.

	- I suppose indexes (shptree) don't help at all because the polygons are
	  read in order to be treated and then, index are unuseful here.

	:(

	What can I do if I need image maps in my application and the layer which I
	need for contains several polygons?. Any ideas?.

	Thanks in advance,
	Manuel Marichal Pérez
	marichalperez at yahoo.es