[mapserver-users] Image Maps

Lowell Filak lfilak at medinaco.org
Fri Aug 2 08:48:25 EDT 2002

Is the root problem the number of vertices that exist when working on a layer with a lot of polygons?
By 'clipping method' do you mean weeding out vertices? If not, something like weeding would help reduce the number of vertices in the image map which will be weeded anyhow when the image is rendered. You really shouldn't need high detail for a zoomed-out view.?
As for reading the initial data in it should be relatively quick to read the polys->lines->points in for a given shape if everything is retrieved by the index value.
As for the dbf information you only need a single read from the disk for the values. I don't know what the direct PHP XBase access is called but it should allow something similar to 'SELECT label FROM polygons' and will return a pointer in memory to ALL the values in the dbf column in the order they occur which aligns with the shape index value.
HTH
Lowell F.

The following message was sent by Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au on Fri, 2 Aug 2002 13:00:23 +1000 .