[mapserver-users] Styleitem "auto" and MapInfo.

Thomas H. Jensen LE34 MapInfo Center thj at le34.dk
Mon Aug 5 07:29:42 EDT 2002

Hi.

In simple terms I am trying to build a MapBasic application to let a user specify a MapInfo .Wor file (containing layer information), open the .wor file as a txt file and then building a MapServer file around the specifications in the .Wor file.

As MapInfo stores symbology on the object level (rather than the layer level), I have two options to pursue: I can either use the styleitem "auto" or add a column to my MapInfo tables, store style info in this column and then match it using a classitem approach.

I'm not particularly happy with either approach.

When using styleitem "auto" the following happens to my various MapInfo styles:

Point Objects:
	symbol	: not tested, but I should be able to match using the symbology files
	size	: not tested
	color	: not tested but should be ok.

Line Objects:
	Pen Style	: Doesn't work. All lines are drawn as full lines
	Pen Width	: Doesn't work. All lines are drawn width a width of 1
	Pen Color	: Works just fine.

Region Objects:
	Outline Style	: Doesn't work. All lines are drawn as full lines
	Ourline Width	: Doesn't work. All lines are drawn width a width of 1
	Outline Color	: Works just fine.
	Brush ForeColor	: Doesn't work. All brush styles are drawn fully and opaque.
	Brush BackColor: Doesn't work. Not shown as forecolor fills all
	Brush Style	: Doesn't work. Drawn as opague.

My main argument against having my application build a mapfile "manually" is that this (as far as I can tell) would require me to add a column to each of my various tables - And I have no idea of wether or not the tabfiles in my .wor files are write enabled.

I would, of course, like to get the MapServer display as close as possible to the original .wor display.

I would greatly appreciate, if you can give me some input as to have I can go on. For example:

I it possible to use a classitem other than a MapInfo column (e.g. some sort of obejctstyle attribute)?
Can I get anything further out of my styleitem "auto" display?
Realizing that the styleitem is experimental, when can I expect the next release of a (hopefully) more complete version?
Am I missing out something completely here (It wouldn't be the first time)?

Thanks for your time.

Med venlig hilsen /Best regards

Thomas Højstrand Jensen
Landinspektør og GIS-udvikler