[mapserver-users] Projecting like a sphere

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Aug 7 14:14:49 EDT 2002

You'd have to test it. Wrap around capability has been tried several
different ways in the past
with no luck. Turns out that the feature spitting id pretty involved.
At first we were just trying
to replicate some of the images that the author of Proj.4 has in his
manuals but after talking with
him and doing some test it was decided that was beyond the scope of the
the software at that
time.

I think we're talking about the same thing. In my case we wanted to
show a gobal map (planar projection
though) with North America centered in the projection (changed central
meridian). With straight lat/lon
data that mean't you had to display portions of Asia on the left and
right hand sides of the map. Not
possible with the software as it sits.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 21:15, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> That would be cool. If I am not mistaken, unlike a normal planar
> projection, you will implement panning not by altering the extents
of
> the map, but by altering the origin of the projection. Fancy
schmantzy.

It's a ortographic projection with wrap-around capability. Is Mapserver
able
to do this? Wrap-around can apply to other projections too. It should
be as
always dividing longitude by 360.0 before to project it and be aware
that
west edge should be greater than east.