[mapserver-users] Mapscript and Perl CGI::MiniSvr module

Nicolas Boretos nicolasb at maich.gr
Fri Aug 9 07:21:04 EDT 2002

Alex Rice wrote:
> Has anyone messed about with Perl Mapscript and the CGI::MiniSvr module?
>
> Running a CGI perl script and loading the CGI perl module and the
> Mapscript perl module has a lot of overhead and will noticeably slow you

Hi,

This sounds  similar to what I am doing by using the tclmapscript module
inside the tclwebserver.
I load the mapscript module into the interpreter that the httpd process
also runs in. It seems faster than the mapserv cgi for the basic things
I am doing, and requires very little overhead.

A potential bottleneck that I see is that longer running db calls would
block the webserver. To this end we are looking into threading, or at
least to move potential db requests back into the mapserv.cgi.....

anyway,

nicolas boretos