[mapserver-users] Interesting Implementation of Mapserver

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Aug 14 13:40:20 EDT 2002

For a website with dynamicly updated data, you might consider using
PostGIS. The "trouble" with using shapefiles and shptree is that for
each new row you add to the shapefile, you have to rebuild the shptree,
otherwise your data and your index will get out of sync. With PostGIS,
the index is kept up to date automatically during updates and inserts.
Transactional integrity also means that the low-probability case of
multiple simultaneous writes destroying your data file will not ever
occur.

P.

--
      __