[mapserver-users] Interesting Implementation of Mapserver

Drew drew at Zhrodague.net
Wed Aug 14 14:12:07 EDT 2002

> For a website with dynamicly updated data, you might consider using
> PostGIS. The "trouble" with using shapefiles and shptree is that for
> each new row you add to the shapefile, you have to rebuild the shptree,
> otherwise your data and your index will get out of sync. With PostGIS,
> the index is kept up to date automatically during updates and inserts.
> Transactional integrity also means that the low-probability case of
> multiple simultaneous writes destroying your data file will not ever
> occur.

	Yeah, we're looking into PostGIS -- got it installed.

	Special kudos to the developers of mapserver, we were able to get
the whole package up and running without writing a single line of code!!!
(We're not programmers)

	Again, any help is appreciated, the box is pretty beefy (much RAM,
and fast RAID), but we need more help. Eblevins has donated quite a chunk
of time to the scripts that we're using, his help is greatly appreciated.

drew at zhrodague.net
http://mapserver.zhrodague.net