[mapserver-users] Error Handling for Layers?

C F gis_consultant at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 19 13:05:50 EDT 2002

Hi,
I'm certain this must've been discussed before, but I've searched and
searched the archives and came up with nothing...
I'm using Mapserver 3.6.1 and with PostGIS.  Is there any way to recover
from an error in a layer?  Right now, it appears that if, for whatever
reason, one of your visible layers was not available during a request, the
whole thing blows up and you get no map at all.  My thinking is that the
rest of the layers shouldn't get the shaft just because one layer couldn't
get its act together.  Mapguide has a nice feature like this where it still
returns a map, but only that one layer doesn't get rendered and a little red
'X' shows up next it in the legend indicating that it has an error.
I'd be interested to hear about both raw Mapserver/Mapfile implementation as
well as Mapscript. Since I may be using either/or.

Right now, the only solution I see is using Mapscript (PHP in my case) to
manually loop through each layer and setting every single possible property
and perform the draw operation and trap errors (totally replace the
mapfile).... which is fine with me, it just seems like an awful lot of work
to set up PHP to replicate all setting available in the Mapfile (symbology,
scales, classes, labeling, etc, etc).  Am I wrong?

Thanks!