[mapserver-users] PHP MapScript 3.6.x cgi/module

Thomas Haechler thaechl at geo.unizh.ch
Wed Aug 28 11:56:45 EDT 2002

Thorsten,

As far as I can see, the cgi / module discussion is referring to the way
how PHP (not phpmapscript) is installed, i.e.:
- if the php document where you have the dl ("php_mapscript.so")
statement inside is processed by a php installed as cgi, everything is
working.
- if it is processed by php installed as an apache module, you will get
the following error:
"Fatal error: Due to thread-safety problems, php_mapscript cannot be
used as a 'apache' module. You will have to reconfigure your PHP as a
CGI to run this version of MapScript." (I just did that little test now)

By the way:
It is possible to install apache with both, php as a module and php as
cgi at the same time. in the httpd.conf file you then have to specify
which documents are processed by which php version (example:
filename.php -> module, filename.phtml -> cgi). like this you can use
the module version for all mapscript unrelated purposes.

hope this helps,

Thomy

--

THOMAS HAECHLER