[mapserver-users] Setting up MapServer (Request for Info)

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Aug 28 12:44:25 EDT 2002

On 28 Aug 2002 at 0:49, benkarl at texas.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working a web development project where we would like to put
> street maps on pages showing the location of specific sites by
> street address.  Basically, we want the same sort of thing
> MapQuest or Yahoo Maps can do, but we can't afford the $4500
> per year that MapQuest wants to let us put maps on our own pages.
>  I started looking into alternatives and found MapServer.
>
> Our current configuration is a Windows NT machine at Dellhost so
> we pretty much need to go with cgi, though I suppose we could get
> a linux host if we needed something else.  I am aware of the
> Tiger/Line data from the census bureau for street locations.
>
> What I'd like to ask about right now is if I can get Mapserver to do
> what I want and what, at least generally, would be involved in doing
> it. If someone already has this information out there somewhere, I'd
> love a pointer to it.

1) You would need to get the Tiger/Line data and convert it to shape
files.
2) Set up a mapserver map file to render your maps
3) Build an application in Mapscript or using mapserver CGI to render
your maps
4) Code or license a GeoCoding application that you can interface to
your mapserver application.

By the way, I have a mapserver running with Tiger data that I
translated into shapefiles and interfaced with a geocoding
application that I wrote. You can see it at
http://iMapTools.com/demos

Hope this helps,
   -Stephen Woodbridge