[mapserver-users] Re: Getting mapserver running on Mac OS X

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Fri Aug 30 09:15:08 EDT 2002

Hi Raj,

I am not sure who you replied to here, but just to add to this...

On Friday, August 30, 2002, at 03:59  AM, Raj Singh wrote:

> You may be having the obscure problem I had. Perl's libwww installs a
> binary
> called HEAD in /usr/bin. Some fink build stuff needs to use the program
> 'head', also in /usr/bin. The problem is that OSX is not
> case-sensitive, so
> it gets confused. The old version should still be in /usr/bin, named
> 'head.old' or something like that. Try switching the names around and
> see if
> your problems go away.

actually OS X is the problem here. Its the directory system. Most OS X
boxen are formatted HFS+ which is not case-sensitive... it preserves the
case for display purposes, but does not distinguish for writing purposes
(kinda like NTFS). So, when you install libwww, HEAD actually
over-writes head unless you took care to preserve it by moving it
elsewhere or renaming it first. Hence, there won't be any head.old
anymore. If you need it you would have to bring it back from the install
CD.