[mapserver-users] strange data in shp file

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Fri Aug 30 23:21:38 EDT 2002

James -

It looks like the new SHP files are projected - probably in UTM or a
regional / state coordinate system.  Unfortunately, there's nothing IN a
shapefile that tells you what projection it is.  If there's a .PRJ file
with the same root name, that will give you info.

MapServer can reproject layers of any different coordinate systems onto
the same map.  But you need to tell it what coordinate systems each SHP
file is in - otherwise it will assume they're all the same.  In your
case, that means interpreting those numbers as lat/lon, which puts them
way out in hyperspace somewhere.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker