[mapserver-users] Draw points?

Frank Koormann frank.koormann at intevation.de
Fri Feb 1 07:17:31 EST 2002

Hi Nacho,

* Nacho Benito (nachobenito75 at hotmail.com) [020201 12:56]:
> hello Frank
>
> Frank Koormann wrote:
> >* Nacho Benito (nachobenito75 at hotmail.com) [020131 23:18]:
> > > Hello everybody
> > > I would like to know if it?s possible to draw in the map a point what it
> > > isn't in any layer. In fact what I want to do is draw a symbol in any
> > > position.
> > > Please, could you help me? I've been looking for some information about
> > > that in the mailing archives list but I can't find anything.
> > > Is it relationated with symbols' object?
> > > Thanks in advance
> >
> >iUsing the CGI-version this can be realised with an empty layer for
> >such markers in combination with the mapfile parameter changing methods.
> >
> >http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/cgi-reference.html#mapfile
> >
> >should give you an idea of the concept.
>
> Thank you for your help. Can you tell me how I could draw a point if I know
> the coordinates (however they could change). Do I have to do it with symbol
> object?

You need an empty layer defined in your map file:
(replace marker with something reasonable for your application,
especially select an existing symbol)

# Marker-Layer
LAYER
    NAME marker
    TYPE POINT
    STATUS OFF
    CLASS
        NAME "marker"
        SYMBOL "marker"
    END

    POSTLABELCACHE true
END

>From an URL you now can add points to this layer (for the next
visualisation) as indicated by
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/cgi-reference.html#mapfile

 ...&map_marker_feature=new&map_marker_feature_points=12345.6789+12345.6789...

Regards,

        Frank

--
Frank Koormann                             <frank.koormann at intevation.de>