[mapserver-users] outline symbols scaling

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Feb 6 12:58:21 EST 2002

A brave soul. Overlay symbols *should* be treated just like regular ones
with regards to symbolscale. You use overlayminscale and overlaymaxscale
to control sizing.

I'll take your other suggestion under advisement. That was the plan at
one point but was dropped in favor of the current scheme in order to
limit the number of potential parameter names and to simplify coding.

The symbol type is actually CARTOLINE and that code was committed a
couple of days ago (written by Tomas Krecmer). It's experimental at this
point but does appear to work. Basically CARTOLINEs are used for solid
lines only. They are far more efficient than using brushes since lines
are converted to polygons and then filled- pixel values are set only
once as opposed to the many times required using a brush. This also
allows for a variety of line joins and caps. New parameters are:

  - new symbol type CARTOLINE
  - symbol option LINECAP with values BUTT, ROUND, SQUARE, TRIANGLE
default is BUTT
  - symbol option LINEJOIN with values NONE, ROUND, MITER, BEVEL
default is ROUND
  - symbol option LINEJOINMAXSIZE [integer] (pixels I think) default is
3

An example would be

  SYMBOL
    NAME 'roads'
    TYPE CARTOLINE
    LINEJOIN MITER
    LINECAP ROUND
  END

Dashes and such are not supported with this symbol type at this time.
Again, totally new code right now and probably still needs tuning.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Stepan Kafka" <stepan.kafka at centrum.cz> 02/06/02 10:25AM >>>
 Steve,
	I use mapserver 3.5.1 and OVERLAYSYMBOL / OVERLAYOUTLINECOLOR
for setting
polygon outline symbols. It is great but I am not able to scale
outlinesymbol via SYMBOLSCALE / MAXSIZE / MINSIZE parameters in map
file.
Does mapserver support it?

	Wouldn't be better to have different syntax for outlines e.g.:
OUTLINESIZE / OUTLINESYMBOL/ OUTLINECOLOR etc. instead of current one?

	Is there any documentation to CARTO symbols on the MS web site?

Thank you

Stepan Kafka