[mapserver-users] Beginner question - UK projections

dchampion at clacks.gov.uk dchampion at clacks.gov.uk
Fri Feb 8 09:32:55 EST 2002

I'm a new Mapserver user, and not a geographer, so this may be a simple
question! Any help would be most gratefully received.

I've compiled v3.5 with PROJ4 support and the demo works beautifully.

I have a shapefile with data of my local area, Clackmannanshire in
Scotland. My problem is how to get this data to display. I'm fairly sure
it has something to do with projections, but that's where my understanding
runs dry.

So, how do I determine:

a) What extent values to use
b) What values to put in the PROJECTION block in the .map file?

I've taken EXTENT values from ArcView based on UK OS grid references, and
I've tried this for projection, based on my scant understanding, but no
data is displayed:

PROJECTION
  "proj=tmerc"
  "ellps=airy"
  "zone=31"
  "north"
  "no_defs"
END

TIA

Daniel Champion
Web Development Manager
ClacksWeb
http://www.clacksweb.org.uk

This email and any attachments have been scanned for
viruses prior to leaving Clackmannanshire Council.
Clackmannanshire Council will not be liable for any losses
as a result of any viruses being passed on.

www.clacksweb.org.uk