[mapserver-users] 24bit tiff and gdal

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Sat Feb 9 00:49:28 EST 2002

A note on the jpeg support. Jpeg sucks for spatial data and really sucks
for uses like MapServer. To access the lower righthand corner of the
image you must decompress the entire image so performance is less than
stellar. The support was added for B&W DOQ images as distributed by
USGS. (We later converted all of our DOQ imagery to TIFF for performance
reasons.)It's use is discouraged.

Note that I don't believe there is such a thing as a color mapped (i.e.
8-bit) JPEG image (due to the compression) which is why only greyscale
images are supported.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937
>>> Pushkar Pradhan <pushkar at ERC.MsState.Edu> 02/08/02 15:12 PM >>>
Frank,
Thanks for confirming my doubt about disabling TIFF support:
so now my MS config. says:
Banshee[51] pushkar$ mapserv -v
MapServer version 3.5 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=TTF INPUT=EPPL7
INPUT=JPEG INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE
But to my horror now I am unable to read either 8 or 24 bit TIFFs, I get
the foll. error:
msDrawRaster(): Image handling error. Unrecognized or unsupported image
format
and when I try to display colored jpegs also it doesn't work:
drawJPEG(): Unable to access file. Only grayscale JPEG images are
supported.
This is my path:
Banshee[91] pushkar$  echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/local/gnu/lib:/opt/SUNWspro/lib:/usr/ccs/lib:/usr/ucblib:/usr/local/netpbm/lib:/rstc/user1/erc/pushkar/gdal-1.1.5
i.e. I have given the path to the gdal dir.
Apache's error log says:
[Fri Feb  8 15:01:51 2002] [notice] SIGUSR1 received.  Doing graceful
restart
[Fri Feb  8 15:01:51 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) configured --
resuming normal operations
[Fri Feb  8 15:01:51 2002] [info] Server built: Nov 14 2001 12:06:07
[Fri Feb  8 15:01:51 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: fcntl (Default: fcntl)

warmerdam at pobox.com
> and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for
Rent

PUSHKAR S. PRADHAN
Research Assistant
MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY,