[mapserver-users] Slow response time + Apache/IIS - newbie!

Mark Cave-Ayland mca198 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 11 15:53:10 EST 2002

Hi there,

Two questions which I feel are of a particularly newbie nature:-

Firstly, I've been evaluating Mapserver 3.5 for a short time now, having
managed to successfully install the itasca demo using Apache + the Win32
binaries available from the Mapserver homepage.

Since then I've managed to compile my own Mapserver 3.5 under Cygwin, but
the problem is that the response is really slow. When I exchange the Win32
precompiled binary with my Cygwin version, Mapserver takes about 15 secs
to send back a new page! After clicking on the itasca map, the process
seems to halt without sending back any headers or generating any PNG files
in the temp directory for about 15s. Then suddenly it springs into life
and returns the completed image.

I have a feeling that I've done something wrong during the compilation
stage but I don't know what - does anyone have any ideas???

Secondly, the precompiled Win32 binaries work under IIS whereas my Cygwin
version only works under Apache. Does that mean to get Mapserver to work
under IIS I need to recompile with MS VC++ instead?

Cheers,

Mark.