[mapserver-users] compiling Perl/Mapscript takes time

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Thu Feb 28 16:12:34 EST 2002

Charles,

>  I was wondering if you happened to have the Mapscript
> related DLL's for
> perl

Please note that as far as I am aware no one has found much success with
Perl/Mapscript on Windows.

Note to SDL and other Perl/Mapscript users: I know we have visited this
issue in the past... could someone with a Windoze box and Perl inclination
want to establish definitively whether or not this is possible. While I have
a Windoze box here at work, I do not have the C compiler. Additionally,
while I am very keenly inclined toward Perl, I usually let Indigostar's gpm
manage the packages on my Win box. On my MacOS X computer at home I use
CPAN. Yesterday's "perl Makefile.pl" adventure was virgin territory for me.
That I came out fairly unscathed is nice.

>  or for Mapscript PHP 4.1.1
>  for the Windows Nt operating system.

The PHP/Mapscript module does not work with PHP 4.1.1 as of yet. As of now
it requires PHP 4.0.6 or less. Daniel and friends are the conclusive
authority on this. Additionally, there are some hassles in running the
PHP/Mapscript module on Windows with Apache. I was unsuccessful in making
this work on my Windoze box.

Note to the scripting gurus: It would be really nice if installing the
Mapscripting modules, both Perl and PHP, became simpler than it is. I know
behind that simple statement is a fairly tall order, but it _has_ to be
accomplished to make things easier for those who might know the scripting
languages, but otherwise might not be compiler-savvy. If there is anything I
could do here to contribute I would... unfortunately, I am still one of the
unwashed masses. Someday I will pick up the Kernighan-Ritchie book, but
until then...

Sorry Charles,

pk/