[mapserver-users] Example of Cold Fusion....

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Wed Feb 27 12:32:03 EST 2002

Jessica,

> Could you explain to me really what the usage of using cold
> fusion with
> mapserver?  Is it so that we can intergrate database from
> databases to the
> map files?  I would really appreciate your input.

I guess I am not sure what you are asking? If you want to know what the
advantage of using CF with Mapserver would be as opposed to some other
solution... well, then I would have to do some CF proselytizing here... this
is not the forum for that.

That said, CF allows you to build web applications as well as provide easy
database connectivity. For example, if you wanted to build an application
where your users would log on, be authenticated, then be able to retrieve
and save their preferences as they create custom maps using Mapserver and
getting attribute data to display from your database-du-jour... well, you
could use CF to do that.

If CF integrated with Mapserver seamlessly, then that would be even better,
howver, that is not possible as of yet. In the meantime you could use the
CFHTTP method I wrote below to accomplish the map-drawing part.

If, for some reason, you didn't want to use or couldn't use CF, PHP or Perl
would be your other options within the limitations they impose.

In short... CF is to Mapserver as PHP or Perl is to Mapserver.

Hth. Please let me know if you need further clarification, and I would be
happy to help. Also, pl. reply directly to the forum so others might benefit
from the discussion.

Thanks,

pk'/