[mapserver-users] --with-gdal problem

Dylan Keon keon at nacse.org
Wed Jan 16 16:37:01 EST 2002

Hello all,

I successfully configured and installed MapServer 3.5 (including
MapScript) with PHP 4.0.6 on my Linux box. After reading a bit more, I
decided to reconfigure and compile with gdal. I configured/compiled gdal,
reconfigured/recompiled mapserver (doing make clean, then make), and
replaced the old mapserv binary in my cgi-bin directory with the new
mapserv.  However, when trying to access the Itasca demo, I received a 500
error.  The server log says "mapserv: error while loading shared
libraries: libgdal.1.1.so: cannot load shared object file: No such file or
directory."

libgdal.1.1.so was successfully created.  Do I just have it in the wrong
place?  Or am I doing something else wrong?  It's in the directory that
--with-gdal was pointed to when configuring MapServer.  I
reconfigured/recompiled MapServer without gdal and it worked just fine
once again.

Thanks from a newbie :-)

--Dylan Keon