[mapserver-users] Starting out with WMS Client/server

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Wed Jan 23 11:41:11 EST 2002

>I looked at the Capabilities returned by your server,
>(http://lignum.midbc.com/cgi-bin/demo?REQUEST=Capabilities) and it seems
>to advertize its onlineresource as

I used the script/wrapper method because I wasn't sure about the following
usage:

>xlink:href="http://lignum.midbc.com/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/itasca/demo.map&
"/>

What should my parameter for "map=" be?  The map file I want is locally
available at /home/httpd/html/itasca/demo.map.  Do I put the whole local
pathname in, or an internet accessible one like
lignum.midbc.com/itasca/demo.map?  I assumed the later, that is why I put
the relative url to the site (should it have been ../itasca/demo.map to
make it relative to my cgi-bin folder?).

>This happens if the file "epsg" is missing in the proj directory
>(/usr/local/share/proj/epsg on Unix), or if you try to use an epsg:XXXX
>code that doesn't exist in that file.
>If your server runs on Windows, then the epsg file is searched in either
>C:\PROJ, or C:\PROJ\NAD depending on the version of PROJ that was used
>to compile MapServer.

The wms server is linux and it looks like the file exists okay.
The wms client is windows and I missed the step of creating a proj folder
off the root.  I don't recall the readme in the package I download telling
me to do this - perhaps we should add it somewhere.
I see that I got a proj\nad\epsg file, so I moved the proj folder to c:\
and will try it now.

Thank you for the help Daniel.